Pinterest

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Hooded towel tutorial

I've been looking for a hooded towel tutorial, but just couldn't find one that made the hood the way I envisioned it.  As the old saying goes, "if you want something done right, do it yourself", so I decided to put together one myself.  I have made one other hooded towel in the past using a tutorial I found on Pinterest, but I just wasn't happy with the hood.

Step 1 - Gather the supplies you'll need - one bath towel, one matching hand towel.  If you want to embellish the hooded towel, you can use fabric, ribbon, embroidery, or any other idea you like.  I used some hot pink towels I found on sale.


Step 2 - Cut the hand towel to use as hood.  Lay the towel out lengthwise, and cut one side 9.5 inches wide.


Step 3 - Now is the time to add any decorations you have chosen to put on the hood or bath towel.  I've seen cute pictures of appliqued names on the back of the bath towel, and all sorts of decorations for the hood.  Let your imagination be your guide.  Since Valentine's Day is coming up, and I was making this hooded towel for my sweet granddaughter, I choose a "Love Bug" machine embroidery applique design that I purchased from Planet Applique.  

Step 4 - Pin and sew hood seam - fold the 9.5 inch wide hood piece in half with right sides facing each other (any decorative items will be on the inside).  Use a zigzag stitch or some other stitch that will keep the raw edges from raveling.

Step 5 - Now that you've constructed the hood, it's time to attach it to the bath towel (almost done!).  Lay out the bath towel with wrong side up, and mark the center point with a pin.

Step 6 - Lay the hood you just constructed on top of the bath towel with the edges of the folded hood lined up with the outside edge of the bath towel and the center hood seam lined up with the center of the bath towel. Pin in place and sew. You will be sewing a rectangle along the edge of the bath towel, down each side of the hood below the fold, and along the bottom of the hood.  Use thread that matches your towel color as close as possible so the seam will be barely noticeable.  


Step 7 - You're done! Wasn't that the easiest thing ever?!  I'd love to see pictures of your finished product!


This is how I fold them up to give as gifts :)



No comments:

Post a Comment