Pinterest

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Weekend sewing fun

I sure love weekends!  Especially when I get to spend them sewing.  I learned to sew in high school, starting with "Introduction to Sewing" in 7th or 8th grade, continuing on through "Advanced Tailoring" in 12th grade.  I wonder...do kids today still have that same opportunity?  I sure hope so!

Back then, I wasn't preparing for college, because it just wasn't something I thought could happen.  Luckily though, I did end up going to college and getting my four year accounting degree.  That degree allowed me to have a very rewarding career that I'm looking forward to retiring from next summer.  While my college degree made my life easier financially, my sewing skills are what's really brought me joy in life.  I'm so thankful to those teachers who taught me so well.

I haven't taken a sewing class since then (40 years ago...yikes!) but this coming week, I'm going to my first quilting class with my boss.  She promises it will be fun, and I'm looking forward to it.  When thinking about preparing for class, it occurred to me that I didn't really have a tote bag to carry quilting class supplies in.  So this weekend I made myself one using a pattern that I had pinned a while back on Pinterest. You can see it here.  I altered the pattern to make the finished bag 12" x 14" because the 8" by 10" size just wasn't going to suit my needs.  I liked the style though and the project was easy....start to finish in one afternoon.  Here's the finished result - hope the quilt i make in quilting class turns out as pretty as the bag :)


I also spent some time this weekend creating a baby girl gift set.  Anyone who has been following my blog over the past six months knows that I've made a whole lot of boy gifts, and it sure felt good to get back to "girly" things today.  There's just something irresistible about baby girl things!  Here's the newest inventory item for my future Etsy shop.  It's a burp cloth made of 100% cotton in a darling chevron print, backed with absorbent 100% cotton terry cloth, with a sweet, sleepy owl centered on a matching patch.  I've also included a 3-6 month 100% combed cotton onesie made in the USA by American Apparel  with a matching applique; and what gift set would be complete without a matching pacifier clip!  I love it!  Hope you do too!


No comments:

Post a Comment